Coffee Spills

What I hear and see and think about at the coffee shops I patronize.
Brisk. Fresh. Well-balanced. Occasional nutty and bittersweet overtones.
If you got here from my profile, you probably need to visit my main blog, Collecting My Thoughts which is updated every day.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Coffee conversation about working and rewards

A woman who works for a very large company told me she'd won a prize for perfect attendance at work. Everyone who has shown up and worked their assigned shift has their name in a drawing-$50 prize. She said they do that not for people her age (I'd guess she's about 55), but for the young workers who haven't yet learned "a day's pay for a day's work." So the corporation has to "teach" them by offering prizes what their parents should have. Years ago you would have had your pay docked, and if that didn't work, you'd be fired. I wonder which method teaches the lesson more effectively?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home