Coffee Spills

What I hear and see and think about at the coffee shops I patronize.
Brisk. Fresh. Well-balanced. Occasional nutty and bittersweet overtones.
If you got here from my profile, you probably need to visit my main blog, Collecting My Thoughts which is updated every day.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Dupuytren's Disease

Today as I was leaving the coffee shop I chatted with an acquaintance and noticed his hand was bandaged. He said he'd had surgery for Dupuytren's Disease which is when one or more fingers start to curl. It happens primarily to people of northern European ethnicity, usually when they are older. When it happens in the foot, it's called Ledderhose's disease. He'd had the other hand done some years ago, and it hasn't returned, although it can. Apparently there is no cure, only treatment. He described the surgery. Not pleasant. He lifted the bandage to let me have a peek, and I felt woozy. I'm a wimp. There's a reason I was a librarian and not a nurse.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home