Coffee Spills

What I hear and see and think about at the coffee shops I patronize.
Brisk. Fresh. Well-balanced. Occasional nutty and bittersweet overtones.
If you got here from my profile, you probably need to visit my main blog, Collecting My Thoughts which is updated every day.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Christie in the coffee shop

At Coffee 'n Cream, the new coffee shop in Lakeside, Christie joined me this morning. We didn't know each other, but have a mutual friend, Vicki, in common. She's been coming to Lakeside for years. Christie is a farmer--she does the books and payroll for her husband who does the rolled-up sleeves type work with their two adult sons. She has a cat names Gracie (it's only by Grace that she has one) and loves to read.

This morning she brought along "Joy and Strength" by Mary Wilder Tileston, a compilation of inspiration thoughts first in print over 100 years ago. She also had a title in the Lamplighter Rare Collector's Series, "Ishmael" by E.D.E.N. Southworth. Mrs. Southworth was a prolific 19th century writer, and I think I recall seeing Ishmael among my grandmother's books. Ishmael is available at Project Gutenberg, but due to the denser prose of that era, I'd recommend the old fashioned, curl-up-in-a-chair method. Mrs. Southworth, abandoned by her husband and left with children to support, earned a living writing about brave, gutsy Thelma-and-Louise type women, and her titles end up in women's studies courses as well as Christian reading lists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home