Coffee Spills

What I hear and see and think about at the coffee shops I patronize.
Brisk. Fresh. Well-balanced. Occasional nutty and bittersweet overtones.
If you got here from my profile, you probably need to visit my main blog, Collecting My Thoughts which is updated every day.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Jack Johnson

Listening to a smooth voice and a pleasant acoustic guitar at the coffee shop, I asked the clerk what CD they were playing. She went into the back room and checked. "Jack Johnson," she said. That's our lawyer's name, but I was pretty sure it wasn't the same guy. I almost giggled thinking of our Jack playing a guitar and singing. So when I got home I Googled him. I have no idea if the CD I heard is recent--it was pretty mellow with some C&W sounding stuff, some jazzy, some ballad. Success always brings changes and innovation, so he may be doing something different now.

"Before Jack Johnson perfected his rock star ways, he was a champion surfer on the professional route with a sponsorship with Quiksilver. It was a life that was second nature for this Hawaiian native, for he began chasing waves as a toddler, and by the time he was 17, he was an outstanding athlete on the Pipeline. However, Johnson was also testing his other creative outlets -- one being film and the other being music. It was during his college years as a film student at University of California at Santa Barbara when Johnson began writing songs." Full bio here.

1 Comments:

  • At 20 January, 2006 07:39, Blogger Katherine said…

    Love, Love, Love Jack! I listen to his CDs over and over. Such a smooth, mellow sound but fun, too. I just saw a trailer in a movie theater where he's going to be doing all the songs for some animated film.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home