Coffee Spills

What I hear and see and think about at the coffee shops I patronize.
Brisk. Fresh. Well-balanced. Occasional nutty and bittersweet overtones.
If you got here from my profile, you probably need to visit my main blog, Collecting My Thoughts which is updated every day.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Two pastries for breakfast

The woman across from me at Panera's this morning appeared to have a normal BMI. Fortyish and nice looking. She sat down in the easy chair with two breakfast pastries--a baked artichoke and spinach souffle ($2.99), and a cherry cream cheese pastry ($1.99) and a large iced green tea ($2.39). If she eats like that very often, she'll need new jeans.

I looked up from reading the latest research about low-fat dietary patterns in the Feb. 8 JAMA and its affect on women's health. 1) Breast cancer--low fat diets make little difference in post-menopausal women, but might make a difference on specific tumors, so more research is needed. 2) Colorectal cancer--no reduction by changing to a low-fat diet. 3) Cardiovascular disease--low fat intake didn't reduce the risk of CHD, stroke or CVD in post-menopausal women.

Oh well, enjoy the pastries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home