Coffee Spills

What I hear and see and think about at the coffee shops I patronize.
Brisk. Fresh. Well-balanced. Occasional nutty and bittersweet overtones.
If you got here from my profile, you probably need to visit my main blog, Collecting My Thoughts which is updated every day.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Women don't get it

At the coffee shop this morning I glanced up at the Fox and Friends program. The blonde anchor, E.D. Hill, is sitting between The Judge (the guy whose hairline starts at his eyebrows) and Brian. She is wearing white (or cream) jeans, a pattern blouse and necklace, and the men both are wearing dark suits as though they expected working Americans to pay attention.

I asked the lady next to me (on her laptop) if she were employed, and she said yes. I pointed out to her my observation about the casual, leisure wear of the newsbabe. She said, "Well, I don't usually watch Fox and Friends," totally missing my point. Then I repeated it (slowly and carefully just in case she was a Democrat), that for some reason working women demand to be taken seriously while looking like they are meeting a girlfriend for lunch at the golf club.

She nodded, and said yes, that's how women and men dressed where she worked. There are some things Title IX can't fix.

4 Comments:

  • At 30 June, 2006 20:07, Blogger Pat in NC said…

    Sorry, I think this is a very superficial comment on E.D. The gals sometimes wear clothing appropriate for some outdoor sketch requiring more than business attire. I find E.D, to be an articulate, comncerned and informed woman. To critique her clothes seen for only a few minutes of her two hour segment makes me question what matters most to you--appearance or character.

     
  • At 01 July, 2006 08:55, Blogger Norma said…

    It wasn't an outdoor sketch. It was studio.

     
  • At 02 July, 2006 10:52, Blogger karen! said…

    I know what you are saying. Our local morning news show is similar. The guys all have on suits, except for the traffic guy in the helicopter. Sometimes he wears a suit, but sometimes he wears a t-shirt and baseball cap, but usually you see only his face for a brief moment. But the girl on there, dresses all kinds of ways, bright clothes, stripe-y clothes, sometimes she looks more professional than other times. But sometimes the men wear crazy ties. It's just a crazy show.
    But I know what you mean.

     
  • At 02 July, 2006 10:54, Blogger karen! said…

    Oh, yeah. The morning show I watch is on FOX also! Funny thing!
    Anyway, I can't find your Friday Photo thing that you posted about on my T13. You have too many blogs! How do you do them all?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home