Coffee Spills

What I hear and see and think about at the coffee shops I patronize.
Brisk. Fresh. Well-balanced. Occasional nutty and bittersweet overtones.
If you got here from my profile, you probably need to visit my main blog, Collecting My Thoughts which is updated every day.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Cinnamon in her coffee

I’m not particularly fond of tea, but when I make a small thermos, I dangle a tea bag for a minute or so in the hot water, add some orange juice or apple cider if I have it, and sprinkle in a little cinnamon. The other day I saw a woman sprinkling cinnamon into the half n half before she added her coffee at Panera's. I commented, and she said her doctor had told her to add about 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon to her daily diet to help her diabetes and cholesterol. I looked it up, and here’s what I found.

“A small study completed last year on the possible health benefits of cinnamon was "very exciting and promising," according to Dr. Andrew Greenberg, director of the obesity metabolism laboratory at Tufts University, who is so intrigued he has begun studying it himself.
The 40-day study, of 60 people in Pakistan with Type 2 diabetes, found that one gram a day of cinnamon -- one-fourth of a teaspoon twice daily -- significantly lowered the subjects' blood sugar, triglycerides (fatty acids in the blood), LDL (or "bad") cholesterol, and total cholesterol.” Boston Globe.

Too much of a good thing is toxic, and cinnamon is one of those. But add a little to your cereal or tea or pudding--couldn’t hurt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home