Coffee Spills

What I hear and see and think about at the coffee shops I patronize.
Brisk. Fresh. Well-balanced. Occasional nutty and bittersweet overtones.
If you got here from my profile, you probably need to visit my main blog, Collecting My Thoughts which is updated every day.

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Guy Talk

A tall 30-something stranger wearing a blue ball cap with the white letter "D" walks into the coffee shop.

"Are you a Dukie?" one of the regulars asks.

"No, just a fan," he says as he picks up his latte.

They've never met. They immediately strike up a conversation about various sports teams, then exchange pleasantries and separate, never to meet again. Sports chatter. It's like insta-bond glue for men. They can be different generations, races, professions and religions, but they can always talk about the Browns, the Cubs, the Lakers, the Bears, the Buckeyes or the Illini.

Like women and babies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home