Coffee Spills

What I hear and see and think about at the coffee shops I patronize.
Brisk. Fresh. Well-balanced. Occasional nutty and bittersweet overtones.
If you got here from my profile, you probably need to visit my main blog, Collecting My Thoughts which is updated every day.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The benefits outweigh the negatives for coffee

I don't drink as much coffee as I used to--maybe 1.5 cups a day, and that in the morning. I'm thrilled that there have been so many benefits reported in recent years. I got a Starbucks gift card for Christmas--so it also brings warm feelings. Here's some details reported in Inkling Magazine. Coffee. . .
  • may protect against Parkinson's disease
  • seems to protect and fight against the development of Alzheimer's disease
  • long term coffee drinking may lower the risk of developing type-2 or adult onset diabetes
  • can protect against liver cirrhosis
  • is an age-old asthma medication; caffeine is related to theophylline, a compound that helps relax and expand asthmatic lungs
  • lowers the risk of developing kidney stones, because you urinate frequently
  • increases alertness and mental performance by blocking adenosine, one biomolecule responsible for creating that feeling of drowsiness.


There. Feel better now?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home