Coffee Spills

What I hear and see and think about at the coffee shops I patronize.
Brisk. Fresh. Well-balanced. Occasional nutty and bittersweet overtones.
If you got here from my profile, you probably need to visit my main blog, Collecting My Thoughts which is updated every day.

Sunday, October 19, 2008

A dozen cookies

If you've ever seen the cookies at Panera's, you know they are huge. Friday I saw a new cookie--same dough--just smaller. Don't know if it's the economy or weight challenges driving it. The sign read:

    $.40 a piece petite cookies
    or
    a dozen for $4.99
I'm no math whiz, but I figured 12 cookies would be cheaper than a dozen. So when I got up to the counter, I asked about the sign. "We give 13 cookies in a dozen," was the reply. So that 13th cookie isn't really a free, as in a baker's dozen, it costs $.19. If it confuses a math challenged adult, I wonder what the kids think?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 10 December, 2008 14:55, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Yes, McDonalds does the same thing......and I dont understand it.....I ordered 12 cookies, the girl says, oh you get a bakers dozen, so what would you like the 13th cookie to be? I told her...then she tells me the total is $4.19....The total for 12 cookies is $4.00, there was no tax, this was drive-thru. So, its not really a bakers dozen, because if it was, the 13th cookie should have been free.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home