Coffee Spills

What I hear and see and think about at the coffee shops I patronize.
Brisk. Fresh. Well-balanced. Occasional nutty and bittersweet overtones.
If you got here from my profile, you probably need to visit my main blog, Collecting My Thoughts which is updated every day.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The expensive cat

The woman sitting across from me by the fireplace at the coffee shop was sighing. Then she'd check her cell phone; then she'd sigh. Is there anything wrong I asked. My grandmother's dying she said. I'm sorry, were you close? No, she's 99.9 years old and we don't expect her to live the week; I'm expecting a call any moment.

She was from Cleveland, and in the course of our conversation I learned her cat was "being bad." That means, in case you don't know cat code words, he was peeing all over the place. She listed all the things they'd tried--first a check for kidney or bladder disease; changing the brand of litter; changing the food; isolating him. Finally, they'd hired a . . . pet behavorist (kitty shink). The shrink said the kitty didn't have enough stimulation, so her husband had taken out a second mortgage and bought kitty jungle gyms and stimulating toys. They had spent, over the course of trying to fix this, about $5,000. But they love their kitty. . . still. She's waiting to replace the carpeting until they get this under control. I don't know how big the house is, but I suppose that will be another $10,000.

Do you know the #1 cause of death of pets? Euthanasia. Brought on by inappropriate elimination and desperate pet owners.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home