Coffee Spills

What I hear and see and think about at the coffee shops I patronize.
Brisk. Fresh. Well-balanced. Occasional nutty and bittersweet overtones.
If you got here from my profile, you probably need to visit my main blog, Collecting My Thoughts which is updated every day.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

And then she started to weep

We chat from time to time, she's a smart cookie--high level position with lots of education. I've been hearing about her Christmas plans with "the girls" for several weeks. They are in their 20s. She was quite excited. This was going to be the bonding year. This morning's chat started out with sort of an amusing story, but as it went along I realized how deeply hurt she'd been. She's not the tough bird I'd taken her for, in fact, my heart aches for her. What's that old saying, when they're little they step on your toes and when they're grown they step on your heart. Ah, the holidays. The music. The cards. The gifts. The relationships.

One delightful change today was a mother and her son (perhaps 10?) playing violin duets, Christmas carols, at the coffee shop. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the music. Homeschooled.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home